Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Purging methods (for closets, that is...)

You all continue to inform and delight with your awesome comments. Keep 'em coming.

It sounds like almost everyone posting here is a seasoned wardrobe purger. I'd love to hear exactly how you do it -- how do you make decisions at the level of the individual piece of clothing to keep or ditch.

Here's what I did this year to get to my 52-piece goal:

Step 1 was maintaining a rigd "frequency filing" system in my (half of the) closet. In January, with all the winter clothes still in the closet, I stuck a pink plastic hangar on the far left of the clothes bar, like this:




Then as I hung up each item that had been worn, it was returned to the far left also (just to the right of that hanging shoe rack you can see). As the weeks went by, it was really easy to see which clothes were being worn regularly and which hadn't been touched since early January.




By the time March rolled around and it was time to swap out winter for spring/summer clothes, I could pretty easily eliminate everything to the right of the pink hangar.



I did something similar with the folded t-shirts and sweaters on the upper shelves of the closet -- everything that got worn, washed and returned to the closet went on the lower left, and gradually got moved right and then up as other items were worn and put away. I should have done the same thing with undies, tights, tank tops and sleepwear, but I didn't.

This system is a terrific way to teach visual learners or your kids or anyone else who is remotely interested about the 80/20 rule.  (See the link for more info, but in general the rule says that 80% of effects/outputs come from 20% of inputs/causes). In this case, it's clear that 20% of our clothing makes up 80% of what we wear over time. (You probably spend 80% of your social time with 20% of your friends, and spend 80% of your overall grocery bill on 20% of the most frequent/expensive items you buy. Most business earn 80% of their revenues from the top 20% of customers, etc....).

Two other purge techniques that worked for me:
1. During the seasonal swap out, I scrutinized every item going into or coming out of a large plastic Sterilite tub. Tried to be ruthless about stuff that didn't fit, didn't feel good, didn't look good, had stains, or was otherwise flawed.
2. Sticking with the 80/20 rule, I tried to ask myself, "If I needed or wanted to wear something in this category, would I ever choose *this* item over that one I like better over there?" If no, then go.

I also was able to toss a lot of cute summery stuff that didn't make it into the suitcase for a three-week trip to Hawaii. If you don't pack that cute beach cover up/ mini skirt / batik wrap/ sundress /tankini when you're on your way to Hawaii for three weeks, then you're never going to wear it.

Tell me your purging stories!

Today's outfit: White sort of Japanese-y button down shirt (from QT) that I love but has bad armpit stains (sorry, gross, TMI) and groovy print stretch pants that I bought (@ QT) for a dinner celebrating one of my husband's many accomplishments. My mother-in-law (whose opinion I respect) doesn't like them,  but I do. Also made the mistake of wearing both a bra and a shelf-bra-cami-tank thing, so was hot and claustrophobic all day...

4 comments:

  1. Hmm...interesting method. It's almost worth temporarily giving up my closet organization system (which falls apart anytime my husband puts away the laundry, anyway...apparently 17 years isn't long enough to learn where I put my pants).

    Now what do I do with the stack of t-shirts that have sentimental value, yet aren't worn anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison, I love this blog! I made a similar commitment recently to purge my closet of all of the clothes I really don't like and never wear and only buy clothes that I really love, and also to buy things I love when I see them. I never shop for myself, so on the few occasions that I do shop (usually around my birthday and a couple of other times of year), I end up buying things that maybe aren't totally right for me just because I know I won't be shopping again for a long time. Also, I typically have the kids with me, and you know that shopping with kids doesn't leave a lot of leeway for browsing and making thoughtful purchases.

    Jeans, for instance. I've decided I don't really like most of my jeans. The stores I go to when I need jeans aren't working for me anymore. But I don't really have time to launch a new quest for the best-for-me jeans. So, I just settle.

    I just laughed about Katie's comment, too, on the husband not knowing where to put her pants. I went out of town for a few days, and I came back and couldn't find quite a few of my shirts. Turns out hubby had done the laundry and hung them up in my 2-year-old's closet, thinking they were her dresses. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your idea of thowing away/ de-accessioning 52 pieces a year. My approach has been to purge drawer by drawer and rod by rod,
    the rule being that one(or 2)things have to go from each, whether I want them or not. This does not preclude the option of moving things to the next drawer for future consideration. Of course, this leaves the last drawer so full of stuff that it won't close at all, and must all go straight to Good Will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sorting method - will adopt asap.

    I have a question for you guys - how long do you hold on to things that don't fit well or are out of style but are really well constructed/made of great materials/or in great shape? a couple of times having those things has proved awesome, like this sweet pair of heels I got in '98 which I busted out again to many compliments all last winter. I also have a beautiful suit that is too big. It seems like it would be reasonable that I'd fit into it again in my life, but I don't want to be a hoarder... suggestions? JN

    ReplyDelete