Sunday, October 18, 2009

NYT on the twinset

I'm a big fan of the twinset concept, though I note in current closet that I'don't own one. Maybe I've never owned one?? So maybe I'm not a fan. Or maybe they are too hard to find in thrift stores? Or I'm too cheap to buy cashmere (like this Talbots number below)?




Or the Lands End cotton sweater palette never got me excited?





Washed Turquoise
Black
Berry
Camel Heather
Charcoal Heather
Ivory
Lime Zest
Winter Violet
Grapeseed
Aztec Gold
Pine
Saddle
Spice Brown
True Navy
Rich Red








Well, for whatever reason, I'm twin set-less, but still intrigued/tempted, so was glad to see this little nugget in the back page of the NYT Sunday fashion magazine. (I can't get the cool accompanying picture to post, sadly.)

A Double Whammy | The quiet twin set, a British classic, packs a one-two punch.
O.K., so it’s a classic. Some would call it, like the tuxedo jacket or the little black dress, one of fashion’s most iconic pieces. It came to light in the 1940s when, because of the war and burgeoning modern life, items like the floor-length tea gown became less of an option. But it was in the ’50s that the twin set met its moment. Think of any movie or TV show set back then. Did every woman really, truly wear it every day? I find it hard to believe because here’s the truth: yeah, they work if you’re Grace Kelly or January Jones. If your shoulders are narrow and your waist even smaller and you have the sort of radiant beauty that transforms something inherently plain into the epitome of chic. (Tilda Swinton, check! Dame Judi Dench, check! The Duchess of Devonshire, check!) But if you’re a mere mortal like me, wearing a cardigan over a matching short-sleeve sweater risks making you looking like an elderly aunt from the pages of P. G. Wodehouse. Which makes me all the more envious of all those utterly unflappable, self-confident beauties, who don a twin set (like the Pringle of Scotland one at left) and look implacably terrific. DAISY GARNETT

So - are you a fan? Do you own 12 or none? Do you agree with Daisy Garnett that it takes a certain type? (If you're interested, eBay has ~1600 twinsets for sale....)

Meanwhile - stay tuned: The neighborhood clothing swap starts in 6 hours. Apparently ~15 women are coming. Should be interesting...

6 comments:

  1. I love twin sets--I admit it. I wear them quite often, although am certainly not anywhere close to a Grace Kelly or January Jones! I like them with a cute knee length skirt with a pattern. They are a great work alternative to a jacket. It looks pulled together with a bit more flexibility to the outfit. Funky jewlery or skirt pattern cuts down the frumpy or mommy connotation a bit! As does picking twin sets in fun materials or styles. But maybe I do shop too much at Talbots. What is the consensus here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually do have one. It's beige-ish. I'm not sure I've worn it together much (usually just the short-sleeved part by itself). I do like the layered look, but tend to prefer different colors (tank top with buttoned blouse, usually).

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love me some cardigans but twin sets are too too for my personal style, if you KWIM. i would feel like i was impersonating someone else. but...i go more for edgy than safe in my clothes, even in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've bought twin sets before but hardly ever wore both pieces together. I think they look better on longer lankier types (not me).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think twin sets are kind of like white shirts for me--I like the *idea* of them more than actually wearing them. I currently own one that I got from QT (actually found the pieces separately but were clearly same size, brand, color). I wear it in spring since it is a pretty light yellow, but I always feel a bit too preppy for my taste in it. I just can't quite pull it off (hmmm--maybe this one has to go...)

    I have made my own version of twin sets with a few loose weave cardigans (surely there is a more descriptive name for this type of woven sweater in the fashion industry, but I know not what it is!) paired with a matching or complementary colored fitted tank top.

    I did look through the Garnet Hill catalog this week after you had mentioned going with one designer just to see what Eileen Fisher stuff looked like. There was an "updated" sweater set in a beautiful green where the cardigan (with few or no buttons) was lots shorter than the sweater underneath. I think I could go for that one because it is funkier than the traditional look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the twinset, but beware the ones from Lands End are sized at odds with other places. Order a size down if you normally shop at banana. I have a lovely unwearable peacock L.E. twinset from Mom.
    Glad sunday went so well! v. fun.

    ReplyDelete